English Major Jobs 101: Everything You Need To Know About Finding A Job You Love
by Matt Hall
Looking for a day job to support your true passion? Need an alternative to the dog-eat-dog competition for low-paying adjunct teaching jobs? Want to dive into a satisfying, high-paying career?
It doesn’t matter why you want a job. If you know the secret skills behind playing the job game, you can land a high-paying gig… even with an English degree.
- Over 150 pages showing you, step by step, how to identify, develop, and demonstrate skills employers want
- Video walkthroughs and tutorials to help take the stress out of career prep
- Bonus templates, worksheets, and more so you know exactly how to succeed
- 60-day Money back guarantee
- Bonuses and new content added regularly
New for 2017-2018 Academic Year: Completely Updated Version
Since the original publication of the guide, I’ve spent hundreds of hours doing the following:
- Had dozens of English majors, professors, and professionals review the content and provide suggestions
- Re-written 70% of the content for clarity
- Added more graphics to enhance instruction
- Completely redesigned the reading experience around a mobile-friendly learning management system
I’ve made some changes to the guide I hope you’ll love. But most importantly, I hope they’ll help give you the confidence to begin finding the right career path for you.
Learn How I Make Six Figures With an English Degree – And How You Can Do the Same
It’s common to feel frustrated, discouraged, or even depressed about your chances of a getting a job with an English degree. (Maybe it’s because even professors say, “If you want to get a job, don’t study English!” Gee, thanks Professor.)
Career counselors and professors give advice, but maybe translating that into the real-world still feels like a mystery. Sure, they keep saying English degrees are versatile, but there’s not a lot of information about how to get a non-teaching job.
My name is Matt Hall, and I remember feeling the same way during my English program. I decided teaching wasn’t for me, but I didn’t have any idea how to take what I’d learned as an English major and leverage it to get a job. Through a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck, I stumbled upon the key to success with any degree – especially English.
As it turns out, the skills we learn as English majors really are in high-demand, but simply studying English isn’t enough to land a great job.
In order for English majors to land a high-paying job right out of college, they need the following:
- Practical, real-world experience
- The ability to think like a potential employer
- Concrete examples of their skills
By learning these keys to job success, I was able to go from broke to earning a six-figure income in less than 18 months after graduation. Not bad, right?
Now I’m sharing what I’ve learned with you so you don’t have to make the same mistakes I did.
To help you prepare for a great job after graduation, I’ve written The English Major’s Guide to Getting a Job. It’s a step-by-step resource to help you know EXACTLY what employers really want – and how to become the type of candidate they want to hire.
Here’s what’s in this guide:
- Why working part-time at “Burger Hut” is a terrible idea for English majors – and what you should do instead. (This helps you look more appealing to potential employers while making a LOT more money.)
- What you need to be doing now to get a job after graduation (and it’s not just getting an internship).
- How you can make $48,000 per year or more while you go to school – no matter where you live.
- The technical skills every English major needs to land interviews. (These are simpler than you would think, and you can learn them for free.)
- Why 90% of your English department professors will give you bad job advice. (You’ll also learn which ones you should trust.)
- How to find a way to do what you love while actually making a real living.
- How to “pivot” and still find a great career even if the traditional English major routes (ie, teaching) are not for you.
- A breakdown of English major career opportunities. (Some of these are definitely not what your guidance counselors are telling you.)
- The reason grammar-obsessed English majors might not be great employees.
- A simple technique to write persuasive resumes in minutes.
- How to know which experience to include on a resume – and what to do if you don’t have relevant experience.
- The most dangerous myth keeping English majors from finding employment. (You see this in almost every movie.)
- A sneaky way to build a career path “cheat sheet” to know exactly what jobs to chase.
- How you can have lists of in-demand job skills sent to your inbox every day – automatically.
- The method smart English majors use to make their coursework count for more than a grade. (This helped me land a $70,000/year job shortly after graduating.)
- What to do if you don’t feel qualified for a great job. (This helps in more ways than just your professional life.)
- How to write a top-notch cover letter without stressing out.
- The way all English majors can claim a year of work experience (or more) immediately after graduation.
- Over 35 pain-free ways any English major (including introverts) can network and build relationships.
- How to know if you should apply to lots of jobs or just a few.
- The one website builder you should ALWAYS avoid.
- When getting a Master’s and PhD are a good idea.
- The top productivity tools to save time. (This gives you a lot more time to work on your career while still staying up on class readings.)
- How you can become job proof. (Because of this strategy, getting laid off isn’t scary at all.)
…And a lot more to help you get a great job after graduating.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the money back guarantee work?
If you’re not fully satisfied, I’m not happy, either. Use the contact page to contact me, and I’ll send you a speedy refund. It’s that easy.
What payment options do you accept?
Right now, I accept PayPal (which accepts all major credit cards).
How do I read the guide after I purchase it?
Immediately after your transaction completes, you’ll get access to the Member Library where you can access all of the files you’ve purchased and the free bonuses. You can return anytime to the Member Library and log in using the username/password created during your purchase.
What formats are included?
I’ve recently completely rebuilt the site using a modern learning mangement system. That means the guide’s responsive contents will look great on any device – smartphone, tablet, desktop, or something in-between.
You’ll also get access to a downloadable PDF ebook that can easily be opened on almost any device (including tablets, smartphones, laptops, and e-readers). I also include instructions on how to create a Kindle-native format. You’re free to print a single copy for personal use. The bonuses are available as Google Docs, videos, and other file types that work on just about any platform.
What about updates?
Since career information changes quickly, I’ll update the guide from time-to-time so the information is always relevant and useful. Just this year, I’ve completely overhauled the content to add or update thousands of words so you always have relevant, useful information.
- Getting an Employable Mindset
- Preparing for Employment
- Finding the Job
- Random Tips and Tricks
- Next Steps
- Bonus: Videos, Worksheets, and More
- Quick Starts to Write a Resume, Research Job Skills, and More
Bonus: In addition to the guide, you get instant access to the following supplemental resources
Step-by-Step Worksheets and Templates to Help Your Career Prep
- The Semester Skills Worksheet to get more our of your classes
- A 30-Day Plan to Get Job Ready
- 3 “Perfect” Resume Templates and a Cover Letter Template
- More templates and worksheets added frequently!
Instructional Videos to Show You Exactly What to Do
- A complete walkthrough of how to build an attractive portfolio site in WordPress (in only an hour)
- How to Automatically Research Skills for English Major Jobs
- How to Fix a Cover Letter in About 5-10 Minutes
- How to Speed Up Research and Have More Time for Job Prep
- With more on the way!
Exclusive Video Tutorials and Other Bonuses in the Members Area
English Major Jobs 101: Everything You Need To Know About Finding A Job You Love is Available Exclusively in Our Member Library
But don’t worry – gaining is easy and affordable, even for students. Not only will you immediately be able to view the guide’s content, you’ll also gain lifetime access to any other content we publish – free, forever!
Upcoming titles include:
- Becoming a Profitable Freelance Writer with Your English Degree
- The best non-teaching jobs in higher education (and how to get them)
- How to Create Professional Business Content with Examples
- …And Many More.
Get your access to the guide today to lock in your forever free access to upcoming content.
Note: lifetime access price will increase upon release of each subsequent title (next title expected October 2017).
Get access to our best content as a Premium Member of English Major’s Guide.
Join now for just $24 for lifetime access and immediate access the following:
- The English Major’s Guide to Getting a Job plus bonus materials
- 4 Perfect Resume Templates
- Perfect Cover Letter Template
- Semester Skills Development Worksheet
- Mini-course: Build a Simple WordPress Portfolio Site in an Hour
- Video: How to Automatically Research Skills for English Major Jobs
- Video: How to Fix a Cover Letter in About 5-10 Minutes
- Video: How to Speed Up Research with Google Scholar
Plus, you’ll get access to all of our new courses, videos, guides and other content for life at no additional cost!
Fill out the form below to create your account and get instant access. Cancel hassle-free anytime.