Studying English is a smart career move – but you won’t learn that in school.
It’s common to feel frustrated, discouraged, or even depressed about your chances of a getting a job with an English degree. (Maybe it’s because even professors say, “If you want to get a job, don’t study English!”)
Career counselors and professors give advice, but translating that into the real-world action can feel like a mystery.
As it turns out, the skills we learn as English majors really are in high-demand, but simply studying English isn’t enough to land a great job.
In order for English majors to land a high-paying job right out of college, they need the following:
- Practical, real-world experience
- The ability to think like a potential employer
- Concrete examples of their skills
By learning these keys to job success, I was able to go from broke to earning a six-figure income in less than 18 months after graduation. Not bad, right?
Now I’m sharing what I’ve learned with you so you don’t have to make the same mistakes I did.
To help you prepare for a great job after graduation, I’ve written The English Major Jobs 101: How to Get a Job with Your English Degree. It’s a step-by-step resource to help you know EXACTLY what employers really want – and how to become the type of candidate they want to hire.
What English Majors Say
Thanks for creating all these resources for English majors. I worked through a lot of the course’s steps before graduating in May and ended up landing a job as a content writer for a national non-profit.
-Matt, Writer, Dallas
English Major Jobs 101 provided practical advice and real-world examples that are applicable, even after graduation. The suggestions provided encouraging direction without being overbearing. It helped me to recognize different areas where my degree is valuable and applicable for not only finding a job, but finding a better job. Plus, the activities felt thought-provoking and didn’t feel like busywork.
-Kirsten, Project Manager, San Francisco
I studied English because I wanted to lean into my strength as a writer for my career. Four years later I was a better writer, but had no idea how to make a career out of it. Eventually, I found an unpaid internship which turned into a low paying job where I now supervise interns who face the same problem. No one had answered the question, how do I turn my writing skills into a career? Matt Hall answers the question. Not only have I begun to branch into lucrative freelance work myself, I recommend the book to every undergrad intern who comes through our doors.
-Christopher, Content Strategist, Austin
This is the course I wish my teachers had given me in college. I love the idea that I don’t have to be stuck in low-paying jobs for life. English Major Jobs 101 finally turns “English majors can do anything” into practical, actionable advice.
-Mika, Account Manager, Los Angeles
- Getting an Employable Mindset
- Preparing for Employment
- Finding the Job
- Random Tips and Tricks
- Next Steps
- Bonus: Videos, Worksheets, and More
- Quick Starts to Write a Resume, Research Job Skills, and More
So What’s In This Guide?
So What’s In This Guide?
English Major Jobs 101 is organized in 5 chapters, each one offering powerful advice. You’ll learn how to get in your employers’ heads, how to know exactly which skills you need to learn, and unexpected ways to land the job.
Step 1: Getting an Employable Mindset
Before you can find the right job, you have to learn how to think like a successful, employable person. In this chapter, here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to give yourself permission to get the job
- A way to focus on the employer’s needs (and how this shortcuts you to an interview)
- An ironclad way to impress employers
- Why academic writing will make you look like a hack
- How to stop feeling like a liar or impostor
- The controversial truth about money
- Why a common English major myth can do to your career (it’s not pretty)
- The most important piece of advice any English major needs to know
Step 2: Identifying Skills Employers Want
In this section, you’ll learn:
- Three approaches to getting a job (and which is best)
- A method to discover the latest in-demand job skills
- How to get in employers’ heads and really understand how you can solve their problems (thus landing the job)
- A way to automatically research job titles for exciting career options
- The four reliable skillsets every English major should know
- Why defining your personal brand will make you more attractive to employers
- How to learn brand new skills with no experience
Step 3: Finding and Applying for Jobs
In this practical skills-focused chapter, you’ll learn how to discover the best positions for you. This includes:
- Why it’s the skills, not job titles, that matter
- How to research the kind of companies you want to work for
- A method to write a job application that gets an interview (this helps me get a 80% interview rate when I apply for jobs!)
- The purpose of job application materials
- A step-by-step guide to writing a winning resume
- How to successfully interview
- How to write a great cover letter
- How to get a year of job experience without really trying – all before you graduate
- Whether it’s better to apply to lots of jobs or only a few
- The big secret about cover letters and resumes
- The best way to follow up after submitting an application
- How to create an attractive portfolio website in about an hour
Step 4: Essential Tips and Tricks
This section teaches you several key tips every English major should know and practice, including:
- Should you start a blog?
- Should you go to grad school?
- When is obtaining a PhD a good idea?
- A quick way to evaluate the value of an advanced degree
- What minor you should pick
- 41 pain-free networking tips for English majors
- When to work for free (and when to NOT work for free)
- How to make $48,000/year while attending school
- What if you want to change careers?
- The top productivity tools for English majors
Step 5: What’s Next & Appendix
In this final section, you’ll learn how to become job-proof. You’ll also discover the next steps you should take for a happy career.
The appendix includes fast access to some of my best resources, including:
- PDF course download
- Resume & Cover Letter templates
- A 30-day plan for getting job ready
- How to build a simple WordPress portfolio site in an hour
- How to automatically research skills for English major jobs
- How to fix a cover letter in 5-10 minutes
- How to save time and speed up research with Google Scholar
- Plus a list of the best apps, resources, and content referenced throughout the course
Bonus: In addition to the course, you get instant access to the following supplemental resources
Step-by-Step Worksheets and Templates to Help Your Career Prep
- The Semester Skills Worksheet to get more our of your classes
- A 30-Day Plan to Get Job Ready
- 3 “Perfect” Resume Templates and a Cover Letter Template
- More templates and worksheets added frequently!
Instructional Videos to Show You Exactly What to Do
- A complete walkthrough of how to build an attractive portfolio site in WordPress (in only an hour)
- How to Automatically Research Skills for English Major Jobs
- How to Fix a Cover Letter in About 5-10 Minutes
- How to Speed Up Research and Have More Time for Job Prep
- With more on the way!
Exclusive Video Tutorials and Other Bonuses
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I view the course after I purchase it?
Immediately after your transaction completes, you’ll get access to the Member Library where you can access all of the files you’ve purchased and the free bonuses. You can return anytime to the Member Library and log in using the username/password created during your purchase.
What formats are included?
I’ve recently completely rebuilt the site using a modern learning management system. That means the course’s responsive contents will look great on any device – smartphone, tablet, desktop, or something in-between.
You’ll also get access to a downloadable PDF ebook that can easily be opened on almost any device (including tablets, smartphones, laptops, and e-readers). I also include instructions on how to create a Kindle-native format. You’re free to print a single copy for personal use. The bonuses are available as Google Docs, videos, and other file types that work on just about any platform.
What about updates?
Since career information changes quickly, I’ll update the course from time-to-time so the information is always relevant and useful. Just this year, I’ve completely overhauled the content to add or update thousands of words so you always have relevant, useful information.
Why is this so expensive?
I understand you’re a college student, and you don’t have a lot of extra cash. The information in this course took me years to learn, compile, and write. This same info has easily earned me an additional $20,000-$60,000 per year since graduating in 2014.
Charging just $24 – less than the average textbook – is an accessible price for the English major who’s serious about their future. (But there’s no shame in running this by a parent…)
As a bonus to help this guide pay for itself ASAP, I’ve included information on how to start freelancing now, while you’re a student.
What payment options do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards through Stripe encrypted payments and PayPal.
How does the money back guarantee work?
Read the course content and put its principles into action. (You’ll never know if it works until you try it.) Then, if you’re not fully satisfied, use the contact page to contact me, and I’ll send you a speedy refund. It’s that easy.
A lifetime of satisfying, creative, high-paying work is waiting. Are you ready?
For less than the cost of a textbook, you’ll learn profitable skills that will unlock the potential of your English degree – for life!
Order now and immediately access the following:
- English Major Jobs 101: How to Find a Job You Love with Your English Degree plus bonus materials
- 4 Perfect Resume Templates
- Perfect Cover Letter Template
- Semester Skills Development Worksheet
- Mini-course: Build a Simple WordPress Portfolio Site in an Hour
- Video: How to Automatically Research Skills for English Major Jobs
- Video: How to Fix a Cover Letter in About 5-10 Minutes
- Video: How to Speed Up Research with Google Scholar
Fill out the secure payment form below to create your account and get instant access. Cancel hassle-free anytime.